|Qrayeh Municipality||Qrayeh – Ascent of the Cross – The Club’s building (temporary)||07752142|
|Civil Defense Center||Qrayeh’s building – Main Street – Ascent of Jbee||07754125|
|Qrayeh’s dispensary (attached to the Ministry of Social Affairs)||Qrayeh – Main Street – Ascent of Jbee|
|Qrayeh’s Public School||Qrayeh’s – The Club’s area||07-751337|
Overview of Qrayeh’s SchoolLiteracy has existed in Qrayeh since 1767 since the appointment of the priest Antoun Chalhoub who was officially assigned to be the spiritual leader of the townspeople, guide them to salvation and teach them how to read and religious issues.
When the priest Yuhanna Chalhoub was appointed to replace his father and manage the pastoral affairs, he moved to the town and dedicated himself to serve his parish. Holy masses and liturgical celebrations took place then in the town’s church which was built in the form of a cellar in 1850. During that period, the priest was teaching some young people who wanted to learn how to read and how to become Altar servers.
Influenced by the publications and the printing presses that spread at the time, some eminent scholars in the region went on to pursue their studies on their own, namely the members of “Al-Khoury’ family, followed by the sons of some wealthy families. In 1860, Kaisar Al-Khoury from the town of Mjeidel was the first teacher whoarrived to the town. He gave lessons in the cellar after Father Yuhanna, followed by Nakhle Chalhoub in 1877 and Kaisar Chalhoub in 1901. The taught languages were Arabic and Syriac, along with mathematics. The question that is raised at this point is: Learning Arabic reflects our belonging and rootedness in the Arab world, and mathematics is inevitable due to the Phoenician civilization. So what was Syriac for and what does it imply?
Syriac is the language brought by Saint Maron, Father of the Maronite community who has Syrian origins; it was widespread among his followers, particularly clergy. Language was considered as an influential tool whose mastery brings power.
The situation continued as it was until the outbreak of the World War I, and the authorities spread their spies throughout all Christian and Maronite regions. Gatherings were prevented and Qrayeh was not exempted from the decisionthat accused the priests. Classes were interrupted due to the lack of security, and military service was imposed on young people who were also forced toundergo forced labor. Moreover, the invasion of locusts contributed to the increase in mortality. In 1920, the school reopened its doors to thetown’s children with Professor Philip Darcy fromSaida who had completed his studies at the Bishop's School, which was at that time located in the Roman Catholic Church in Saida. The educational achievement was limited to learning Arabic and arithmetic in both Arabic and French. Some of the townspeople who started their academic studies pursued their education and specialized in private schools, including the Bishop's School and Les Frèresschool in Rmeileh. Then they started to teach in the town noting that education at that time was restricted to males. Gradually, the school became reputable in the region and the number of students began to increase until it reached in 1967 around 300 students from all the neighboring towns (Jensnaya, Ain El-Delb, Mjeidel, Berti, HaritSaida and Keferhatta). Due to this high number of students, the number of teachers amounted to thirty.
This was the Golden Period of Qrayeh. Some students sat for the Brevet certificate in French and earned their diploma from the French embassy, namely: Georges Hleihel, Samir Dib, Atef Abdallah and others. The school was managed by Mr. Georges NakhleHleihel for 40 years.
Qrayeh’s School maintained its status till 1985 when it closed its doors. However, it reopened them in 1992 to those returnees. It was managed then by Mr. Samir Dib till 1996 who sought to build an independent school for the town during the term of Mayor Said Merhi. Therefore, such school was built in 1996 and inaugurated in 1997. The administration of the school was then held by Mr. EskandarEid from 1996 until he was deceased in 2007, followed by mr.WafiqAntoun who is running the school till the present day.